Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chapter 20

The site which he selected was a shady grove of trees at the head of a winding river. After the king approved of the site, Nel dropped to his knees and prayed. "Dear God, help us to obey thee in all things, bless our families and herds, that we may prosper in this land...." Scota was visibly shaken; she had never seen this before. The king embraced his new daughter, saying "This is the manner in which we offer thanks to the God of Noah." "Will I be required to do this?" She asked. "No one is required." "But how shall I worship? I have forsaken the idols for my prince." "Listen to your heart, my daughter." Scota wrestled with the transition into accepting the God of Noah but the pure love which she had for Nel was so empowering that it soon found its heart in the new religion.
Warning: US and International Copyright Restrictions Apply.
A new clan was born in the valley of the winding river. Instead of the tents, wooden lodges with rock walls were erected and pastures fenced for the herds and paddocks to contain the foals of al khamsa. That year Scota gave birth to her first son. The homeland prospered. Great herds of fat sheep roamed the rolling summer hills. The first fall of the year was splashing display of red and yellow trees and mewing grass. The fat sheep were brought from the valleys to be sheered. Their lumpy white wool produced industry and prosperity for the whole region. The women spun the wool into cloth, then dyed it inside large vats of boiling green and red berries. The cloth was woven into familiar tartan patterns and the clan took on its own identity. The kilt skirt became popular and colorful woolen stockings which covered the knees. Instead of the cloak, the clan adopted a tartan shawl worn over one shoulder. For many years I shared the excitement of the new world and forgot about the key. My thoughts were no longer consumed with the idea of asking Nel. He did not need such a key. The love he shared with Scota and their faith brought a peaceful happiness to the clan. I loved God for his goodness. But my testimony was not yet complete. The village grew large, over spilling its original boundaries and the outlying gardens and pastures and encompassing even the mountainous foothills. But as a pleasant dream must come to its unwanted demise, so ended this one. I awoke early one morning clutching in my sweaty fist the bronze necklace of Heber. What was in my dream which awoke me? What disturbing ingredient loosened me away from my enchanted life with Nel and Scota and nagged me of my purpose among them? My own unsettling truth was that I belonged to a world which destroyed itself. I need to find the key which unlocks the door to a better world. No matter how much I yearned to wallow in the peaceful existence of Nel and Scota, this premise nagged me. It could not be. I arose from my bed feeling the burden of my frightful past and acutely aware of my unfulfilled self. No one could give me peace. Not even the kind prince. I swallowed my self pity and sorrow and faced the truth. I was three thousand years into the past. It was time to move on. I washed my face and beard and went to see the prince. He was happily engaged in engineering a canal from the------ to the village. Warning: US and International Copyright Restrictions Apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment